Any fan of interior design knows their passion can be expensive. With an endless supply of money, most fans of home decor and decoration would go wild. We’d all delight in the opulence we were able to create with an unrestrained budget. Sadly, that’s not a reality for most of us. The vast majority of the population try to create the very best interior design they can with the budget they have available.
How much should an interior design budget be?
Unfortunately, there’s no easy way to answer this question, because it is too subjective. There are a number of different influencing factors regarding how much you should be spending on interior design, including:
- Your income. As enjoyable as interior design is as a hobby, it is not vital. That means expenditure in this area should always be limited to your disposable income. The higher your disposable income, the higher your budget for interior design can be.
- The time you have available. If you don’t have a huge amount of time to focus on interior design, then you should — realistically — have a smaller budget. Good interior design requires research and focus. If you can’t commit to this, then your budget will usually be smaller as you have fewer projects and areas to focus on.
- Your priorities. Interior design is a wonderful hobby that can greatly improve your home, but many of us have other hobbies that we see as just as, if not more, important. How big a priority you view interior design as will thus influence your budget also.
When you have considered the above, your can scrutinise your monthly budget and see how much room you have available for interior design. Of course, that’s not to say you should use this entire amount, but this gives you a starting point that you can work from.
Is it possible to spend too much on interior design?
Yes, in certain circumstances:
- If you are spending more money than you have available as disposable income, you could be spending too much on interior design.
- If you are going without essentials so you have more money available for interior design, you could be spending too much.
However, in most cases, the decision is yours. Provided you’re not going into debt or going without in other areas, you can really spend as much as you feel comfortable with— and don’t let anyone tell you differently. Ultimately, interior design is a hobby, and hobbies tend to be expensive. No one tells a cyclist they have to spend less on their outdoor clothes or a fan of scrapbooking to cut down what they spend on their materials. So no one should tell you not to spend on fabrics and furniture that brings you genuine joy!
So, how much should be spending on interior design? As much as you want, provided the rest of your budget is balanced and you’re not accruing debt. Simple!